Town Candidates Forum (Mayor & Council)
Monday October 15th
Prince Charles Theatre
1. On the referendum question regarding the borrowing for a new fire hall, how will you vote? If elected, will you accept the recommendation of the Fire Hall Advisory Select Committee? Explain why or why not.
2. If you vote no to a new fire hall or to the borrowing of money for a new fire hall, then what are your plans to move in a direction that may be beneficial to the town and surrounding community and provide a fire hall that meets provincial requirements?
3. Do you feel it would benefit the valley to increase the tax base? If so, what would you do to impact this? If not, what effort would you make to slow growth?
4. In the bestselling book "Extreme Ownership: How Navy SEALs Lead and Win", authors Jocko Willink and Jeff Babin state that true leaders must understand the greater cause of the mission. Even when leaders themselves question decisions that are being made, they must ask, "Why is this particular decision being made and how does it fit into the bigger strategic picture?" Please tell us how you, in the past 12 months, have sought to understand the "why" behind the strategic mission of Creston?
5. Would you support a regionally funded parks and recreation commission with a regional plan for developing more tourism potential? Explain why or why not.
6. A couple of people asked about sidewalks in town. one mentioned sidewalks overgrown by trees and shrubs, or blocks with no sidewalks at all. Another suggested installing speed bumps in places such as school zones. How will you work to make Creston more pedestrian friendly?
7. What does a progressive community mean to you? Please explain.